Assignment 2 - Animated GIF

What were you trying to accomplish?

This is my first time using Photoshop to make animated .gif. I initially wanted to do an traditional, hand drawn style animation but decided on using photographic images for time management purposes.

I came up with the idea for a "work in progress" sequence when I was browsing through my photos trying to come up with ideas. My dispersion splatter image that I created for the DDSGN 161 Advanced Photoshop class is one of the only projects that I have actually saved multiple .psd files when I was working (something that I should probably do more often). I also have seen GIF's, videos, and photos of work in progress artwork on Deviant Art and I think that it's helpful and inspiring for viewers to see what goes on behind the scenes.


What technical skills did you use to create the project?

First, I opened up each of my work in progress Photoshop files and exported .jpegs of different stages of my progress by selectively turning on and off layers in each file. I used Adobe Photoshop's timeline workspace to compile the images and export them as a .gif.

How do you feel you did on the project?

I think that I did a great job, and it fit within the parameters of the project. I think that the content of the .gif is interesting and appeals to people.

I initially wanted to go above and beyond on this project and do a traditional frame by frame animation. I have done hand drawn animation in the past and know how much time and effort it takes to produce a traditional animation that is good quality, and I knew that I did not have the time to accomplish an animation that I would be proud of. I also couldn't figure out if the timeline workspace has an onion skin effect that allows you to see the previous frame layered underneath the frame you are drawing on (like in Adobe Animate) which is incredibly helpful for hand drawn frame by frame animation.

Comments